We had such great contestants that we have a new travel roulette for all travel bloggers!
WINNER ROUND 24 is Laurence: FindingTheUniverse
This was a really hard round to choose because of the picture of the solar eclipse from Costa Rica by Travelnass.com. Both of the shots were extremely unique but I chose this one because I thought it was a better picture. The solar eclipse picture was incredible and probably took a bit more skill since it was from 1991. I just really loved the picture and required great technique due to having both the lighting and the lightning.
This photo contest happens to be in its 24th round! I would like to officially welcome you to the next round of Photo Roulette! The contest has been sweeping the travel world via twitter with the hashtag #PhotoRoulette. Its a great way for travel lovers and bloggers to share their experiences as well as finding out about new bloggers! I was lucky enough to win last weeks contest with the photo that I took in Salvador de Bahia, Brazil while I was partying in Carnival.
Click here to see my picture that won last weeks contest.
It was really hard to choose a theme for this week since there have been 24 rounds of Photo Roulette already. I really had to think hard about it since every time I would think about something I’d realize that theme was already taken. The theme I finally thought of that hasn’t been taken yet is “darkness”. Pictures taken at night are some of the hardest pictures to take in my opinion. There are also lot of ways to take pictures at night since you can play with light and angles.
Show the world your favorite picture that you have taken at night.
The photo contest will run from August 14th – August 21st. I will be on safari next weekend here in Kenya so barring any apocolypse I will announce the winner August 23rd.
The rules of the game are simple. The hosting blogger is the chosen winner of the previous week’s (7 days) game. The new host chooses a generic keyword or phrase that other bloggers submit photos to during the course of the week. Phrases can be as generic as ‘signs’ all the way to abstract thoughts like ‘religion’ and everything in between. At the end of the week, the hosting blogger chooses their favorite photo that fits the chosen phrase and moves it to the top of the post as the winning entry with direction to the new host’s site for the next round.
Readers can attempt to sway the author into picking a certain photo via comments, but the author(that’s me!) can ignore comments as they see fit. The game is repeated with the winner hosting the following week’s game and choosing a phrase for new photo submissions. The following is a list of the previously played rounds of the game and the hosting blogger for each. This list also doubles as a winner’s table as each topic host won the preceding round! Click the host’s link to go directly to that entry to see some stunning photographs from the chosen term/phrase!
Here’s the list of previous hosts and topics:
- Nov 4–10, 2010 Living the Dream – “Animals”
- Nov 17–24, 2010 Skinny Backpacker – “Road Signs”
- Nov 29–Dec 6, 2010 Dream a Little Dream – “Street Art”
- Dec 8–15, 2010 Flashpacker HQ – “Festival”
- Dec 17–24, 2010 Over Yonderlust – “Landmarks”
- Dec 26–Jan 2, 2011 Don’t Ever Look Back – “Beaches”
- Jan 5–12, 2011 ThePlanetD – “Portraits”
- Jan 15–22, 2011 Travel with a Mate – “Motion”
- Jan 26–Feb 3, 2011 Johnny Vagabond – “Water”
- Feb 8–15, 2011 Ken Kaminesky – “Urban”
- Feb 21–27, 2011 Travels of Adam – “Friday Night”
- Mar 7–13, 2011 Itchy Feet Chronicles – “The Journey”
- Mar 19– 25, 2011 Brendan’s Adventures – “Changing Seasons”
- Apr 4–10, 2011 Shutterfeet – “Storytelling”
- Apr 13–21, 2011 10timesOne – “Piousness”
- Apr 26–May 4, 2011 Beached Eskimo – “Learning”
- May 21–27, 2011 Travel Junkies – “Architecture”
- Jun 1–7, 2011 Destination World – “Transportation”
- Jun 8–15, 2011 Living the Dream – “Paradise”
- Jun 21-28, 2011 Vagabond Quest – “Clothes”
- Jul 4-11, 2011 The Unframed World – “Symmetry”
- Jul 16-25, 2011 Beached Eskimo – “Home”
- July 31 – Aug 7, 2011 BackPackerBanter – “Inspiration”
- Current: Aug 14 – 21, 2011 WanderingTrader – “Darkness”
____________________Extra Criteria to Keep in Mind when Submitting a Photo:____________________
- One submission per Blog (so sites that have 2+ authors only get one entry).
- No photoshopping allowed unless specifically called for! Cropping and correction for red-eye or camera flaws are ok, however.
- Abstract submissions welcomed as long as it fits within the interpretation of the chosen phrase. Remember, the hosting blogger chooses the winner, so if they cannot understand the submission, you might not win!
- Keep phrases general so that all bloggers can participate. Specific items like “Eiffel Tower” should be avoided but rather made open-ended like “monuments.” For variety, it is ok to say focused things such as “monuments at night” in which most of us have pictures of.
- Abstract thoughts are appreciated, but keep it within the realm that all readers will understand. No “Kafka-esque”, but “Overlooking Creation” is able to be interpreted by all.
- No obscene pictures or phrases allowed. Suggestive phrases and photography can be accepted, but please keep it within reason.
- After a sufficient period of time, phrases can be reused, however new photos must be submitted.
- Keep the ideas and photos fresh!
- Pictures from your entire portfolio are fair to submit. You do not have to take the photo within the week of the contest period to submit it.
- Most importantly, ALL PHOTOS MUST BE YOUR OWN
PLEASE KEEP ALL PICTURES UNDER 800 PIXELS WIDE
Don’t forget since the winner has to host he next round of Photo Roulette you have to be a blogger to participate
Let the Photo Contest begin! Leave your comment below with your link and description and lets start this round of #PhotoRoulette
Entries for the Darkness round are the following:
Dru Stefane Stone: drustefanstone.com
Cathy Sweeney: travelingwithsweeney.com
Matthew Karsten: expertvagabond.com
Pretty Boy Floyd: foggodyssey.com
Abhimanyu: No Website Given
J. Cressman:Monsun: scientika.blogspot.com
Mary Jo. travelingwithmj.com