Hebrew is one of the oldest languages that is still spoken today. While traveling to Israel I was able to pick up on many of the basic expressions to get around such as “are you single” and “you are very beautiful”. Oops, wrong blog! Its a bit harder language to pick up since the vowels are very different than many languages spoken in the west. You use your throat for many of the words and I also found some words that had the beginning of the rolling R’s in Spanish. Today’s unlucky victim for the Hebrew lesson is Mayan from Haifa. Below you will also find a list of common expressions in Hebrew.
How do you say that in Hebrew?
Most important word to learn is Sababa (Sah-bah-bah) which most people use to say cool, ok, great, alright. If you don’t understand what somone is saying to you just say sababa and everything will be okay.
- Hello/Goodbye – Shalom
- When you Toast (to life) – L’Chayim (leghaim)
- Good Morning – Boker Tov
- Good Evening – Erev Tov
- Good Night – Laila Tov
- Thank you – Toda
- Thank you very Much – Toda Raba
- Please, Your Welcome – Bevakasha
- My name is – Koreim Li
- How are you (to male) – Mah Shlomgha
- How are you (to female) – Mah Shlomegh
- How Much (Does it Cost) – Kama Ze (Oleh)
- Whats your name – Ma shimkha
- You are pretty – At yafah
- You are very beautiful – At me ha memet