Marmaris is a coastal city located on the western coast of Turkey. It has access to the warm waters of Mediterranean Sea, and one of the most preferred holiday locations in Turkey. Due to its location between two sets of mountains, the combination of the green and the blue results in spectacular view and a must visit place. Marmaris offers all kinds of joy together; hiking in the mountains, discovering historical places that were left from Greek Empire, swimming in the beautiful Mediterranean Sea and tanning under the great sun, enjoying the nightlife or exploring hidden caves, it’s totally up to you to enjoy Marmaris as you wish.
Marmaris is in a very accessible location. There are two airports near Marmaris, first one is Dalaman Airport (DLM) which is 90 km away from Marmaris and it is the nearest airport to Marmaris. After arriving at Dalaman Airport, there are shuttle buses available HAVAS and MUTTAS which is more affordable. However also taxis or even VIP transportation cars waiting to service you. Second option is Bodrum Airport (BJV) which is 130 km’s away from Marmaris and similar transportation options are located there too. Being located between two international airports makes Marmaris an easy place to access.
Places to Visit in Marmaris
Marmaris offers many places to visit both in the city center and outside of the city center. In the city center, getting lost in the streets is always a good idea however you can also explore the hidden beaches and coves not too far from Marmaris to bring your experience to the top level.
- Marmaris Castle : This castle was built by Ionians at B.C 1044. It was renewed and extended by Suleyman the Magnificent. If you come to Marmaris, you have to visit this building with a past of nearly 3000 years and live the history again inside those walls.
- Icmeler Beach: Icmeler Beach locates just 8km’s away from the city center of Marmaris and there are buses constantly moving from the both places so the transportation is easy. It is one of the most famous beaches in Marmaris and hosts many tourists each year.
- Baca Cave: If you are into the extreme sports and diving then this is your place. It offers a diving experience from 5 to 50 meters and allowing you to have amazing pictures as a memory.
Activities to Do in Marmaris
Marmaris offers its visitors many activities. Depending on what you enjoy, Marmaris will satisfy you with an activity.
- Waterparks: If you are someone who likes the water and sliding down the slides, you will find more than what you expect. There are many waterparks available in Marmaris and each offers a different experience. Make sure to try them.
- Daily Boat Tours: If you would like to take a day off on the blue heaven, then those boat tours are for you. It’s possible to visit amazing coves and great spots to swim at during those tours.
- Water Sports: You are next to the water so of course you will find many water sports activities such as ; jet ski, waterski ,canoeing, parasailing etc.
- Off-Road Safari: If you would like to discover and explore the nature deeper, then these tours are for you to discover the nature, take fresh air and have some fun.
Where to Eat in Marmaris?
No question the Turkish cuisine is one of the most delicious and rich cuisines in the world. Therefore Marmaris will not only offer you a great vacation but also delicious foods. Since it’s a coastal town, it’s possible to find amazing sea restaurants and also the traditional Turkish kebab. There are also many restaurants available which offer the different cuisines from the world. Here are a few restaurants that you can try;
- Mares Meyhane: It’s possible to sit next to the water and enjoy the food in this restaurant. Also you can extend your menu with traditional Turkish Raki.
- Steak&Bar: Even though the prices are a little higher than other restaurants, delicious meals and the view of the restaurant is a reason to go.
- Ahtapotcu Mehmet’in Yeri: It’s a small restaurant just outside Marmaris at Sogut Village. Despite its location, the taste of the food attracts many customers and it’s most famous for the octopus’ dish. You can also find fish and grilled products. Another bonus is that it’s possible to find food for each budget, so don’t worry about that. If you would like to escape the crowd of Marmaris and enjoy a meal inside the nature here is your opportunity.
Where to Do Shopping in Marmaris?
Shopping is a great way to explore the culture and products of that place. Marmaris has a wide range of shopping places that will bring you to different adventures. It ranges from traditional bazaars to newly made modern shopping malls, which will allow the visitors to find their wants and needs. Here are your options for shopping;
- Marmaris Grand Bazaar: No doubts it is the first place that comes to mind when you say shopping in Marmaris. This Bazaar could be though as the similar version of Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar. It offers a wide variety of products such as; jewelry, clothing, traditional food, any kind souvenirs. It’s a must visit place when you come to Marmaris.
- Netsel Marina: This place consists of luxurious brands, souvenir shops, home decoration products and so on. Idea of walking in a marina and shopping sounds cool right, that’s why it’s a great place to visit in Marmaris. There are also cafes available to chill and have a good time with friends.
- Weekly Bazaars: If you would like to experience the total Turkish culture, you should try the weekly Bazaar that you can find in Marmaris. It’s possible to find the freshest fruits and vegetables and also to see the seller’s race between each other.
Marmaris offers everything what a person can ask for. Warm, crystal clear sea, amazing nature that provide spectacular views, foods that will make you come back and activities that will take the stress away. Marmaris will provide you a life experience.
Written by Eda Saygi (Turkish Traveller) more details: https://otelleri.net/marmaris-gezi-rehberi