Some people may ask you why you have decided to travel to Africa for your vacation. You should show them the pictures, they will help them understand why Africa is one of the best travel destinations. But you should also check the pictures because you need inspiration on what to put in your bag.
You have probably noticed that most of the tourists are wearing khaki clothes from head to toe, have a pair of binoculars hanged around their neck, and look like they are part of the cast of an anthropological movie. They aren’t filming a movie, they are simply ready for the adventure.
Packing for a trip to Africa isn’t similar to anything you have done. So you will need a list, because you are heading to an overland safari and you want to make sure that you have the right clothes, shoes and essentials that influence the quality of the trip.
We have put together a smart list you should check if you want to embark on the trip of your life.
As stated before, alongside your clothes and shoes, you will also need some essential items that will make your vacation more pleasant and comfortable.
So before packing your underwear and clothes, make sure you put the following in your bag:
- Sunscreen, remember you are heading to Africa so the sun is hot
- Lip balm, you need a product to protect your lips from the dry air from the African jungle. During the dry season, dust and wind can affect your lips, so make sure to have an SPF lip balm in your backpack.
- Wet wipes and toiletries
- Sunglasses, you have to protect your eyes from the African sun, and without a pair of glasses you won’t be able to keep your eyes wide open.
- Insect repellent because as you can expect the African jungle is the home of many bugs
- Regular medication and a first aid kit
- LED torches and a headlamp because during nighttime is really dark outside
- Hiking boots or sturdy closed toe shoes
- Flip flops or other similar comfortable shoes for the time you will spend at camp
- A solar panel charger
- A pocket knife
- A refillable water canteen, it’s better than walking around with plastic bottles
- A day pack
- A rucksack
- A travel guide because you won’t be able to connect to the Internet while you will explore outdoors. A complete guide is the best help you can get in the Savanah.
What should you pack for warm weather?
As you already know, Africa is a warm place, at least most of the time, so you should make sure you are wearing comfortable shoes and clothes.
The following items will help you stay cool, or at least as cool as you can in Africa.
- You should start by packing some light cotton shirts and T-shirts because they will help you stay cool and protect yourself from dangers. Do not bring anything bright-coloured, especially when you are planning to join a safari.
- Shorts are essential when you are travelling to Africa, but it’s important to choose a pair in a decent length. Ladies this is not the moment to flash your toned legs.
- Bring swimwear if you are heading to a destination close to the ocean or if your hotel has a pool.
- Harem pants are also essential when planning to explore outdoors, any pair of loose fitting pants will do the trick.
- Do not forget to also add a hat, but do not opt for one with wide brims. A snug baseball cap is better than a large safari hat because the last one can easily be blown away by the wind. Daring Planet is an amazing resource when you are planning your African holiday. Here you can find information about specific destinations and guides that help you plan your trip.
What should you pack for cold weather?
Even if it may sound surprising, there are times when it’s cold in Africa. During winter, the temperatures are usually dropping below freezing, so as you can expect it will bite you if you don’t pack the right clothes.
Also, if you want to hike up the Kilimanjaro you will need some warm clothes. When planning a trip to Africa during the cold season you should make sure you pack the following items:
- woollen socks
- long trousers
- a beanie, thermals
- woollen jumpers
- a rain jacket (make sure you are choosing a lightweight and waterproof model)
- a down jacket (place it in your day pack even if you think you won’t need it)
- sleeping bag liners
The best packing trips you will ever get
Before starting to put everything in your luggage, you should pay attention to the following tips, they will make your life easier.
- African people are known for being conservative, so you should research to find more about their traditions. It will help you figure out if your outfits are disrespectful for the locals. Cover your cleavage and wear down to the knee bottoms. African cities are more relaxed, but few tourists are travelling to Africa to visit the cities.
- You don’t have to bring your best clothes because chances are to damage them because of dust, sunrays and sweat. Casual, comfortable and breathable clothing items are the best choices.
- Pack one nice outfit if you are planning to eat dinner at a restaurant because the locals take pride in their appearance. Do not enter a restaurant dressed casually because you will disrespect the other clients.
- You can wear jeans, but it’s important for you to choose a pair made from a soft and comfortable fabric. They will get dirty and dusty, so do not bring a new pair.
- Layers are essential in Africa because the temperatures tend to fluctuate and you have to make sure that you will not freeze during nighttime.
Here are the main things you need to know when packing for an African safari. Do not leave the house before checking everything on your list.